Tuesday, April 14, 2009

iTunes U, WGBH podcast K-5

I selected three podcasts from the featured provider WGBH to listen to. The were entitled "Energy Flow on the Coral Reef Ecosystem", "Observe Clouds", and "The Total Solar Eclipse Animation." The first video I found to be very informative, however, some of the information could be slightly advanced for elementary school-aged children. It was very detailed and organized in presentation, with beautiful footage of the coral ecosystem. Even if were too advanced for these small children, it directly made the point of how energy flows through the food chain. I enjoyed this video very much and learned some things that I myself did not know!

The Second video, "Observe Clouds," didn't teach much information and was only about a minute and a half long. In the beginning it tells the viewer to observe the patch of sky that appears on the screen as it moves across the sky. After about 30 seconds, the video speeds up and a question appears asking if you can see the clouds moving and changing shape. After this the screen reads, "Let's watch it again," and the clip repeats. At the end of the clip the screen appears with this message, "Next time you see clouds, stop and watch them move and change shape." I liked the clip very much because it is telling children to stop and observe nature, however, it's not exactly the most educational video I have watched on iTunes.

Because the second clip was so short I decided to watch another video. This video was a virtual demonstration of a solar eclipse. I found it very appropriate for children from K-3 grade. It very explained each step of the process while including definitions of certain words that may not be understood. I think this would be a wonderful video to add to a lesson about space in the classroom.

These types of podcasts could be useful as a teacher by assigning them as homework or playing them in class to accentuate my lesson or activity. Many processes and experiments could be demonstrated on a video such as these and could provide students a greater more concrete understanding of these complex processes. I also believe when my students are assigned to watch certain videos for class, that they will stumble upon another subject they are interested in and view other podcasts that just strike their own interest! These videos will be a great tool for all educators and learners!

No comments:

Post a Comment